TravelGearDepot is an independent review site that prides itself on unbiased reviews. I am not affiliated with any manufacturers and do not accept paid reviews. When you buy through my links, I may earn a commission which helps me purchase more luggage to review.
This post contains affiliate links, which means we may recieve a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you click a link and purchase something. All opinions expressed are our very own.
Why buy a leather backpack? And indeed, why one of the best leather backpacks on the market?
Do you like products that last for a long time, perhaps even for life? If not, then these reviews are perhaps not for you. Good quality leather is an outstanding material when it comes to longevity in bags and other products. A leather backpack is no exception to the rule!
We have choosen to only review backpacks of high quality here. This is partly because we think that choosing to buy stuff that will serve you for many years to come is good for maintaining the resources of the planet, but also because they are classy and beautiful.
We hope you will find the best leather backpack that suits your needs and wishes here. If there is a bag you think we should take a closer look at and perhaps include, please leave a comment below. Thank you!
Read on, or jump to the bag you want to look at the most by clicking on it in the quick navigation below.
Quick Comparison Table Best Leather Backpacks
|Bag (Click on name to go to Amazon or Saddleback)||Size (exterior)||Weight||Warranty||Holds laptop size up to|
|Fossil Buckner Leather Backpack||11.5"L x 5"W x 17.5"H||2.15 lbs.||1 Year Limited||15"|
|TUMI Alpha Bravo Nathan Leather Laptop Backpack||19" H x 14" W x 6"||4.2 lbs||Five Years with First Year Worry Free||15"|
|Squared Backpack from Saddleback Leather||17.5" H x 12" W x 6" D||5.5 lbs.||100 Years Limited||13"+17"|
|Simple Backpack from Saddleback Leather||11" W x 15" H x 7" D||4.5 lbs.||100 Years Limited||15"|
Fossil Buckner Leather Backpack with 15″ Padded Laptop Compartment
- Exterior: 12″L x 5″W x 17.5″H
- Weight: 1.1 lbs
- Warranty: 1 Year Limited
- Fossil is inspired by American creativity and ingenuity. Bringing new life into the watch and leathers industry by making quality, fashionable accessories that are both fun and accessible.
- When it comes to carrying your daily accessories, our bags for men are a great for work or travel. Casual, lightweight and perfectly portable—these collections are dependable essentials of the highest quality design.
- 1 Leather Top Handle, 2 Leather Backpack Straps
- Interior Details: 1 Zipper Pocket, 2 Slide Pockets, 4 Elastic Loops
- 12"L x 5"W x 18"H
- Made with leather.
- Interior lining 100% polyester.
- One padded slip pocket that holds up to a 15″ laptop.
- One zipper pocket, two slide pockets, four elastic loops inside.
- One zippered pocket on front of bag.
- Padded and adjustable shoulder straps with mesh on the inside.
- One leather top handle
- Mesh lining on back of bag (makes it breathable so you don’t get all sweaty on your back on a warm day).
- Nylon zippers that run smoothly.
This video is not a description of the backpack, but we think it’s quite fun 🙂 Although we definitely believe you are just as classy with the backpack as with the briefcase!
If you like, you can click here to go directly to Amazon and read the reviews!
The more items we review from Fossil the happier we get. In our opinion they deliver high quailty and well designed products. This backpack is no exception. This is how one user describes it: “ The leather is such high quality that I don’t think I’ve ever owned a bag so extravagant.“
Who is it for? The size makes it a perfect daypack, or perhaps your personal item on your flight. It fits men and women equally well (we are not happy with trying to separate what’s suitable for men from what’s suitable for women, if you like it you like it. And there are small men and tall women).
The only negative review we have encountered had no more than two words to share: Too large. Oh well.
The leather is of good quality, and will age nicely. Our only problem with this bag is the 1-year warranty. When providing this high quality products, why go low on the warranty? We don’t understand that.
All in all though, we are happy to recommend this Fossil Buckner bag! We clearly judge it one of the best leather backpacks you can buy.
TUMI Alpha Bravo Nathan Leather Laptop Backpack – 15 Inch Computer Bag for Men and Women
- Exterior: 16″ H x 14″ W x 6.75″ D (expanded 9.5″)
- Weight: 3.59 lbs
- Warranty: Five Years with First Year Worry Free
- Best In Class Functionality: A versatile, modern backpack perfect for business, school, commuting and travel. Features numerous organizer pockets, a dedicated padded 15'' laptop compartment, a padded tablet pocket, and zipper expansion allows for extra room when needed. Additional features for this backpack include 2 side zip pockets (one with water-resistant lining), a quick access back pocket with a hidden magnetic snap, and webbing top carry handles with leather accent
- Innovation By Design: Inspired by military gear, this rugged yet refined collection ranges from backpacks to travel kits to messenger bags. With a focus on functionality and versatility, these casual styles will take you from the office to the outdoors and beyond
- Add-A-Bag Sleeve: Effortlessly carry items at the same time with one hand.
- Tumi Tracer: Exclusive complimentary program to help find lost or stolen items
- Dimensions: 16" x 14" x 6.75"; Expanded depth: 9.5"; Shoulder strap: 35"; Handle drop: 2"; Weight: 3.59 lbs
No time for reading the full review now? Click here to go directly to Amazon for latest price and user reviews.
The Tumi Men’s Alpha Bravo Nathan Backpack is a sophisticated city laptop bag that we think suits both men and women very well (despite it’s name on Amazon).
If you want to bring it when traveling, it has a sleeve on the back intended to slip over the trolley handle of a piece of rolling luggage. So smart!
- Made with brown or black leather.
- Zipper expansion.
- Padded and adjustable backpack straps keeps it firmly in place on your back.
- Top carry handle, and hanging luggage tag on side.
- Double zipper opening to open main compartment.
- Front pocket with U-zipper for the stuff you need easy access to.
- Three open inside pockets for cellphone, calendar etc.
- Pen loops and key strap.
- One smaller front pocket with straight zipper.
- Well padded sleeve protects 15″ laptop or 16″ MacBook.
- Fabric lined.
- The Tumi Tracer® program makes it easier for you to recover your bag if it’s lost. Remember to register the bag in the data base!
- Back pocket with magnetic closure for quick access items.
This Tumi bag is an amazing backpack. High quality, good-looking and very practical. We have only read good things about in reviews around the web. Amazon reviews are no exception! We firmly put this one in the category of best leather backpacks!
Saddleback Squared Leather Backpack a.k.a. The Tank
- Exterior: 17.5″ H x 12″ W x 6″ D
- Fits 17″ laptops
- Weight: 5.5 lbs
- Warranty: 100 years (yes, it’s true!)
A few words about Saddleback Leather…
There are some things you need to know about this company and their products. It all started when Dave, founder and owner, wanted a leather briefcase so well made that “my grandkids would fight over it while I was still warm in the grave“. He got one. And the rest is history, as the saying goes.
The hides used by the company all come from cattle raised in North America for their meat as well as their hides.
When manufacturing the bags they have a few fundamental principles:
- Use as few leather pieces as possible.
- Have no breakable parts on the bags.
- Use the best leather quality possible, full grain.
- When stitching pieces of leather marine-grade polyester thread is used. This is the kind of thread used for ship sails.
Altogether this results in products of extreme quality, but perhaps not for everyone. They do carry some weight, and needs breaking in before they get soft and flexible.
If you can live with that, you have a friend for life. There are no doubts in our minds here at Travel Gear Depot that some of the very best leather backpacks come from Saddleback!
Alright then, let’s take a look at their backpacks, starting with the already introduced Squared Backpack! (If you want to go check it out on the Saddleback site right away, just click here!)
The Squared Backpack has been revised no less than three times, making this the fourth edition. Quality and functionality are the core values at Saddleback, and it sure shows here as well. This newest edition is a lot lighter than the older versions, weighing in at only 5.5 lbs.
Main Features Of The Squared Leather Backpack
- Made from only two solid pieces of leather, for as few stitches as possible.
- Sewn with German industrial marine grade polyester thread for maximum durability.
- Made from cow skin and lined with pig skin, as strong as it gets.
- Reinforced with rivets and polyester straps at stress points.
- No breakable parts, meaning no zippers, buttons or magnets.
- Buckles and rings made from 316 Stainless Steel hardware, which is marine grade steel, buckles can hold up to 75 lbs!
- Laptop pocket on front and interior back holding a 17″ laptop.
- Two exterior side pockets with hidden pockets behind them.
- Adjustable shoulder pads for comfortable carrying.
- D-rings on side and bottom for attaching blankets, shoes, or whatever 🙂
Look at the video for a colorful presentation by Dave himself 🙂
If you like, go check the Squared Backpack out right away by clicking here.
We have looked especially for negative user reviews, because we want to give a true picture of what people think about this backpack. Admittedly, the negativities are scarce. Out of the 71 reviews on the Saddleback site right now, only one have given a two star rating for this latest edition of the squared backpack. This buyer didn’t like the shoulder straps and found them uncomfortable.
The average rating is an impressive 4.6 out of 5 stars.
We do not hesitate to endorse the Squared Leather Backpack a.k.a. The Tank!
Simple Backpack from Saddleback Leather
- Exterior: 11″ W x 15″ H x 7″ D
- Fits 15″ laptops
- Weight: 4.5 lbs
- Warranty: 100 years (yes, it’s true!)
In a hurry? Then click here to check out the Simple Backpack on the Saddleback site at once.
Main Features Of The Simple Backpack
- Available in tobacco (image above), dark coffee brown, chestnut and black.
- Like the squared, made from only two large pieces of leather, for as few seems as possible.
- Industrial marine grade polyester thread used in all seems.
- Full-grain thick leather, with pigskin lining.
- All stress points has hidden polyester strips sewn in or rivets pressed through.
- No parts that can break, like zippers, buttons or magnets.
- 316 Stainless Steel hardware, can hold no less than 750 kg before it breaks!
- One inside pocket that holds a 15″ laptop.
- Side pockets on the outside with invisible pockets behind them.
- Adjustable shoulder straps with comfortable pads.
Like with the Squared Backpack it’s not easy to find negative opinions about this bag. Of the 74 user reviews we’ve read, 64 have rated the bag five stars, and six persons have awarded it four stars. That leaves us with four more or less negative judgements.
So, let’s look at them! The single one-star rating was due to the user picturing the bag smaller than it actually was on delivery. One user considered it too expensive, and also experienced that “Straps will dig into the sides of your torso“. Another one found it to be not as breathable at the back as wished for. However, this person is happy with the other 12 SBL products he or she owns 🙂
If this is the bag for you we truly cannot say, but we love it because of its outstanding quality and, yes, simple design. With the words of a completely happy user: “This backpack rocks, and there is nothing you can’t do with it, and no place you can’t take it. It works if you are backpacking to a new rock climbing spot or carrying your laptop to Starbucks to study.“
Clearly one the best leather backpacks on the market!